Asian Games Player Profile: Derelyn Chua

Photo by Lawrence Ang
For the past two years, Derelyn has been straddling two continents all in the name of national duty. She speaks a little about her experiences with the Singapore National Team and about playing in Australia.

Name: Derelyn Chua
Age: 26
Occupation: Student (UWA)


Sport before Rugby?
Touch rugby before contact rugby. I was first introduced to touch whilst in junior college, and i'm still playing touch. i've represented s'pore in touch once in 2009.


Why and how did you get into playing Rugby?
I was first introduced to contact by my JC touch coach, who was also the former captain for the Singapore women's contact team. After a-levels, she asked the team if we were interested in contact, and 2 of us said yea, why not, and we've been playing since (the other girl who said yes also went on to captain the national team). Contact is attractive simply because there is no other sport like it. There's a role for everyone and anyone on the pitch, regardless of size or age, and it requires tremendous team effort just to put the ball across the chalky white line. I'm currently playing contact rugby at Cottesloe in Perth.


How does rugby differ from your previous sport?
Touch and contact are complementary sports and playing both has helped me improve heaps over the years. I'm still playing touch, and what i find lacking in touch, I find in contact, and vice versa. i doubt I'll ever give up one for the other. for instance,I love the way we smash each other in contact, but I love the agility needed to play touch.


What have you learnt from playing rugby in Australia…
Playing in Australia has forced my survival skills to kick in, so I'm running faster and stepping better now just to avoid being hit by the bigger girls. I'm also a lot stronger as the Australian girls hit a lot harder, and this new-found strength gives me the ability to break tackles.

But more importantly, I've learnt a lot about what makes a good player great -and it's attitude. One of my teammates was named MVP for World Cup 7s, and she's one of the most encouraging players on the field, and has never put on airs. I've also seen her run her own fitness even in the heart of a winter storm, and it made me realise that I've always lacked such discipline.


Do you think the experience has made you a better player?
In singapore, I've always been very reliant on my senior players, like my current captain Eunice, and other seniors like Shaoing, Tabitha and Serena. They tend to spoil me and clean up after me on the field so i tend to look good when I cross the line, but it's really all their hard work. Playing in perth however, has definitely made me better as I'm more aware of what I need to do on the field just so I can keep up with the better players and secure a starting position on the pitch. the seniors aren't around to help me anymore and I'm forced to hold my own ground now.


Do you agree when people say that rugby is a men's game?
Contact is pretty much a game for all, regardless of gender, because of what it has taught me, primarily, humility and always being there for the another person. If you're not humble, you get smashed, and your teammates aren't going to hurry over to help an arrogant ass. Similarly, you've got to hustle to protect your friend when she's in trouble, and make sure even if she's down, the opponents don't get a chance to do anything mean.


What did you find the hardest to adapt to, when you took on rugby?
Probably the fitness required to play the game cos while I played touch in JC, I was mainly a debater and played touch only when debate season allowed. I've been pretty lucky and have not had a serious injury despite playing for almost 8 years now. I've sprained my ankles multiple times, slightly tore my meniscus, and fractured my face, and left pinky.


Can you describe your first experience with rugby?
I think if i remember correctly, it was at farrer park with my current clubmates. it was pouring that day, the field was mucky, the drinking water was brown, but after the session, I felt an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and I've been feeling that way after each session since. as a fan, i don't quite remember my first game as a spectator, but I do remember the first time Istepped into HK stadium for 7s. the atmosphere was electric, the skills on display were beyond belief and it's the rugby event I look forward to every year.


The lowest moment of your rugby experience…
Was my very first tour with the national girls saw me dropping every single ball but since I pretty much blanked out on the field, I only have a faint memory of the tournament.


The proudest moment of your rugby career…
When Blacks RFC ladies' lifted the cup trophy for the first time ever during Blacks Midnight 7s, it felt like we ruled the night. And equal to that moment was when the Raffles JC girls' I coached came cup runners up in a contact tourney. I was so proud of those girls and the heart they've put in, and they still inspire me till now


How much do you love rugby? If you had a choice to represent Singapore in another sport, what would it be?
I love rugby to the moon and back! it's a great game, keeps me as fit as, and hopefully will help in keeping my weight down till i'm old and greying (my oldest playing teammate is 42, and she's still going super strong). If I had a chance to represent singapore in another sport, i'll like to try lawn bowling.

No comments:

Post a Comment