Asian Games Player Profile: Tan Hui Juan


Hui Juan is the benefactor of a legacy program called "Singa" rugby which was introduced to primary schools all over Singapore in the late 1990s. As result and despite being one of the younger players on the team, she has had a decade worth of rugby experiences.

Name: Tan Hui Juan
Age: 23
Occupation: Student (SIM)


How and Why rugby?
Rugby is my first love. I started playing when I was in primary school. It was a modified rugby back then called “singa” rugby. After which, I joined Blacks Rugby Football club to continue develop my skills. It was where I picked up touch and contact. I played basketball in Secondary school and was the all-time top scorer for my school.


Do you agree when people say that rugby is a men's game?
Nah, then why is cooking labeled as a women’s chore whereby majority of the famous international chefs are male?


What did you find the hardest to adapt to, when you took on rugby?
Flexibility when it comes to game play. No doubt rugby is a physically demanding sport but it can be mentally challenging as well. Players have to learn to think on the spot and play smart. It’s a game which requires players to be sharp and quick; able to perform under pressure. 14 minutes is a really short and fast paced game.

The lowest moment of your rugby experience...
Was when I had my first injury. I tore 2 of my ankle ligaments. It’s painful for not being able to play for a few months.

The proudest moment of your rugby career...
Was making my debut performance in Asian Women’s Rugby 2006 which is held in Uzbekistan.

How much do you love rugby? If you had a choice to represent Singapore in another sport, what would it be?
Like I mentioned earlier rugby is my first love so it’s really hard to forgo rugby for another sport. But I would not mind taking up handball / tennis.

No comments:

Post a Comment