Singapore Rugby and the Man: Ridzal Saat

As the curtain comes down on the career of one of Singapore rugby’s stalwarts, we speak to Ridzal Saat, Head of Rugby, former Singapore Lion, Team Manager to the current 7s and 15s Singapore Lions (and the list goes on), who will be leaving the Singapore Rugby Union after 15 years of faithful service to the Singapore rugby community and the game he loves.

We wish Ridzal all the best on his new journey, although we suspect you'll catch him not too far off the pitch...

Ridzal Gets Cheeky
Rugby Playing Experience
National Team: 1993 - 2001

Highlights:
  • Scoring the winning try over Malaysia in the Asian Quandrangular in 1997 in Bangkok. Men's XVs first international win in over 10 years.
  • Playing at the National Stadium in Kallang in 1997 and then 1998 - I followed my brother when I was kid when he played and captained the Singapore Football Team in the 80s and early 90s. A big highlight - playing in front of over 10,000 people in 1998
  • In 7s, just playing in HK 7s, scoring a try against Tonga in 1996 in the RWC qualifiers, and winning the Fiji 7s Bowl in 1995


    Managerial/Coaching Experience
    Men's: 2007 to present
    Women's: Women's 7s Coach in 2000

    Portfolios at the Singapore Rugby Union

    Development officer, PR/Marketing, General Manager, Team Manager, League Administrator. It has been a privilege to work within a sport that I grew up playing.

    One managerial highlight was the hosting of the IRB Sevens from 2002 to 2006. In late 2005,early 2006 when we went through a rough stage with the financial stuff, a lot of people didn’t realise that we were down to 3 marketing/administration staff in the final stretch leading up to the hosting of the IRB 7s in April 2006. My hat off to those in the SRU then and the hundreds of volunteers who made the 7s a great spectacle and success then.




    You've pretty much seen the development of women's rugby in Singapore since its inception, what are you thoughts on the development of the game for women and the roles that women play in the rugby scene in Singapore ?

    I remember a conversation I shared with the Women 7s team after they were placed 2nd in the 2003 or 2004 in Kazakhstan at the Asian 7s and they were pressing for a National 15s Team to be set up. It was in some bar in Kazakhstan after the team's celebration dinner and I was there for an ARFU meeting in Almaty.

    I was telling them to be patient as we need a meaningful domestic and international calendar to sustain the 15s game for Women and that it will take time. I remember specifically the current 7s Team Manager telling me its all lip service (Kristy forgive me if I remember this wrongly hahaha) but look how we have grown now in terms of domestic and an Asian Calendar.

    I think Kudos goes out not to only the SRU Staff but the women's rugby community (players, ex players coaches )who have gone out their way to see that it is happening in the last 3-5 years. I think without you guys, sorry ladies, the game might not have developed the way it is. The challenge now is twofold. To sustain current sides and to develop younger players and hopefully teams.


    You once had a short stint coaching/managing the national women's rugby team, what was that like?


    2000 was a great year. I had a stint as a 7s Coach for the Women's. It was interesting as the players then proved to be the stalwarts now like Tabi, Kristy, Jeslyn, there was also Maureen, Anne and Karen from Wanderers, Shirleen, Marli.

    Some of them are still in involved in the game somewhat and that's great. I can't really remember how we did, we might have won a game, but my most vivid memory of that was uttering an F word after the girls didnt do as well as they could against Japan, and Jesslyn broke down and cried. a lesson for a "young" coach like me


    Having been involved in rugby all these years, how do you think attitude towards rugby differs between the men and women

    Having played at the highest level I could for Singapore and coach some age group school and national sides, I think the guys are more competitive individually as in between each other whereas for the ladies having the same competitiveness are more community-like as in helping and going out of the way to help new players settle in.

    There are also more current local female players who are involve in coaching and getting new players in the game. What I like that have evolved from the scene, as in 7s, is that there is a tendency for more interaction between the men's and women's teams. That would make the development of the game healthier for all, as I think both sexes can learn by working and touring with each other. And at then end of the day, we all want to do our best for Singapore.



    Any hopes/advice for the development of women's rugby in Singapore for the future

    Haha, I think I just gave my advice on my last answer. For the indvidual player, if you want to represent Singapore, you either give a 100% or more, or not at all. All of us who have donned the jersey go through the same sacrifices, just don't use work/study as an excuse. For Women's rugby, the model that you ladies have set up with SRU is fantastic, we need to work together and identify more young players into the game. I heard that Bedok Kings or SCC have adopted the SRC women's team. That would be crucial part of the development of either 7s or 15s as a thriving and competitive domestic league will ensure that we have a stronger National Team.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment