ARFU 15s 2012 Profile: Hoty Chan

Standing at 148cm and weighing 48 kilos, Hoty Chan is invariably one of the most recognisable characters in Hong Kong women’s rugby. Always armed with a cheeky grin, the diminutive scrumhalf has served her country for twelve years and every opponent who has played against her will readily testify of how her size belies her impact on the field.

We talked to Hoty about her rugby beginnings and Hong Kong’s preparations for the Asian Four Nations.

photo by Phoebe Leung


Name: Chan Ho Ting, Hoty

Age: 31

Occupation: Merchandiser

Club in HK: Causeway Bay RFC - Phoenix



How did you start playing Rugby? 
There was a rugby promotion from the HKRFU in my secondary school when I was 15, I then joined a summer course. The coach, Rambo Leung, said I was very enthusiastic and diving all over the place, it wasn't even tackle rugby, naturally I stood out. So I decided to take up club rugby at CWB.

How has rugby changed your life?
Rugby has completely changed my life. I am stronger and fitter, however I am not taller, yet. I've travelled to many places including New Zealand, Australia and Kazakhstan. Six out of seven days I am doing something associated with rugby. I even met my boyfriend through rugby.

What are some of your best rugby memories?
Winning the Darwin 7s in 2002 was the best moment on the pitch. And off the pitch, promoting rugby with George Gregan this year.

Your size has never stopped you from being successful in your rugby career, how have you dealt with what others perceive as a shortcoming?
In some ways, my size has helped me because I only have one position to choose from, scrum-half. So I didn't waste any time trying to find my position. Tall girls find it hard to tackle me and some referees protect me, so our team receives many penalties.

However, if someone gets a good hit on me, I fly a long way. It's hard for me to dominate tackles on big girls, so I have to accept this and just go low.


How has the Hong Kong Rugby Team changed over the years?
In 2000, the team was made up of mostly expats in their late 20s. But now, it's mostly made up of much younger local players. In the last five years or so, ladies rugby has become more professional with more fitness, more gym work, more tours, we started doing video analysis more often and the competition to get a place on the team is much harder.

How are Hong Kong's preparations for the Asian 4 Nations, especially in light of the loss to Japan recently?
Although the score line doesn't look good, we can take some positives from that game. We know where our weaknesses are, and going forward we know what strengths to improve on. Recently the training intensity has increased, we doing more strong man sessions, we are really working hard in the contact area. We are going out to win in Kunshan.

How long do you think you will keep playing rugby?
Actually, I don't really think about that too much, I just take it game by game and tournament by tournament as it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment