Profile: Christabelle Lim

In three years, Lim has made the giant leap from watching the Asian Qualifiers for the Women's Rugby World Cup in 2009 as a ball girl to starring in Singapore's win at the Asian Women 15s 2012 Div II tournament. We spoke to the multi-sport athlete in her varsity days about why she finally gave up all the other disciplines for rugby.

photo by Mark Cristino


Name: Christabelle Lim
Age: 24
Occupation: Home Affairs Senior Executive


How long have you been playing rugby union?
I played my first 15s season in 2011 club league games, and since then I have had the fortune to play for the club in Hong Kong and Perth for our club tours. Also, I was fortunate to be able to represent Singapore in test matches and most recently, the Division II Championships in Manila.


How did you start playing rugby?
I was playing Touch Rugby for Temasek Hall in NUS, when the then newly-formed NUS contact rugby was recruiting. With a bunch of other misfits like me, the NUS team played our first 7s tournament in 2009 (and won!). I say, never underestimate the powers of youth and enthusiasm.


What other sports do you play besides rugby (and at what level)? 
I was a martial arts pugilist before I retired in 2007. 

(Okay I meant I competed in Wushu for the most of my schooling life.) 

Also, I played many sports for Hall - Soccer, Touch, Floorball, Handball, and Softball. I also went on to play Handball for NUS, and the then National Team.



How is rugby different from the other sports you have participated in? and why did you switch?
For more than half my life, it was just me and the carpet (and my wushu coach at the side). Rugby was way noisier, with 30 people on the pitch, you can expect so. 

Also, Rugby is all-inclusive, you get a real physical and mental challenge every time you play/train. I love it that there are no superstars; everyone has to contribute all their efforts for the team to go forward.


What did you find hardest to adapt to when you started rugby?
That finally, I have to bathe after training.


Are your family/friends supportive of you playing rugby?
Definitely, though I get no help with my muddy clothes, always.


Who is your biggest rugby supporter & who is your biggest rugby influence?
My biggest rugby supporters are my close friends, who will come down to watch my games where possible, and definitely my clubmates at Blacks RFC. 

The seniors from Blacks are a huge influence to my game, and their passion and enthusiasm for the game is definitely viral.


What are your most memorable rugby memories so far?
On-the-pitch moments would definitely be the games representing Singapore, based on my recent memory would be the game we held a 21-19 win over Thailand to promote Singapore to Division I nest year. Off the pitch would be the priceless times our club celebrates or grieves our wins and losses together.


What does rugby mean to you?
As with Churchill’s appraisement of Champagne – in victory we deserve it, in defeat we need it.


Quickfire

Favourite Team:  All Blacks

Favourite Player: Conrad Smith

Favourite Food: TOM YUM, GLORIOUS TOM YUM.

If i didnt spend this much time playing rugby i'd be .... cooking up a storm. Or rather, learning how to.

Favourite place visited: New Zealand!

No comments:

Post a Comment