Asian Games Player Profile: Priscilla Humphries

It is safe to say that rugby found Priscilla, in a moving vehicle no less. She talks here about how that chance encounter has changed her life.

Name: Priscilla Humphries
Age: 29
Occupation: Teacher


Sport before Rugby?
I didn't really play any team sports seriously before I picked up rugby, just a bit of hockey, softball and some road races I took part in for my hostel when I was in NTU. I used to scuba-dive and canoe a lot though, and also did a spot of wakeboarding. . I also represented VJC in sailing the Laser class.


How and why Rugby?
I joined my current club, Blacks Rugby Football Club, in 2002 and picked up the sport then. I had read quite a bit about the sport previously, but never knew where to start, until one day, I saw this group of female rugby players being featured on a sports show hosted by Glenn Ong. It was TV-Mobile and I happened to be on the bus when it came on, so I quickly noted down the email address and contacted the club manager. And it just started from there. I cannot explain my initial attraction to the sport. I think it's called destiny. Hahaha


How does rugby differ from your previous sport?
I think rugby is different from a lot of other sports, clearly because of the level of contact involved. Compared to the other sports that I used to be involved in fairly frequently, like sailing, scuba diving etc, the obvious difference is that rugby is a team sport.


So why did you make the change to rugby?
I like the teamwork that is required in rugby, you literally need someone to watch your back for you. You also need to be very disciplined and maintain your own fitness otherwise it's very difficult to enjoy the game fully.


Do you agree when people say that rugby is a men's game?
No. Many females are picking up the sport, from the young secondary school student to the married woman with kids.


What did you find the hardest to adapt to, when you took on rugby?
The physicality of the game, and the attendant aches and pains. But after a while, you get used to it and learn how to manage your aches and injuries, and that's when you start to relish the contact.


Can you describe your first experience with rugby? 
At my first training with my club, we were taught how to fall properly upon contact to avoid injuries. I suppose I wasn't listening to instructions because the next day I had the world's worst neck ache, and I couldn't sleep for two days after that because of the pain.


The lowest moment of your rugby experience...
None


The proudest moment of your rugby career...
Finally making it into the national 7s team.


How much do you love rugby? If you had a choice to represent Singapore in another sport, what would it be?
It's the one sport I've stuck with for the longest time, and it's become so much a part of my life that when there's no training during the off season, it feels strange, like there's something missing. The sport has taught me so many valuable life lessons, that without rugby I think I would be a very different person today. I don't think there's any other sport that can replace rugby; I suppose I'm a "sports snob" that way, but if I had to choose something else, then I guess I'd choose sailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment