Asian Games Player Profile: Sophie Ngin Gollifer

Photo by Kong Ping
Having run cross country for a better part of her teenage years, Sophie stumbled upon rugby through Singapore Rugby Union's efforts to develop rugby at the polytechnic and junior colleges.

Name: Sophie Ngin Gollifer
Age: 21
Occupation: Student

Sport before rugby
I was previously from track and field (long distance) I was at the Singapore Sports School for this and ran for Singapore.


How and Why Rugby?
I wanted to something fun and different in late 07'. My sister was playing touch rugby so i came down for fun. From there a teammate who was coaching RP (where I was due to be enrolled) asked me to  come down for contact training as the team was preparing for a inter polytechnic and junior college tournament. I loved it.


How does rugby differ from your previous sport?
It is so different and challenging because there are so many areas, catching running into space, lineouts, scrums, it takes so many diverse skills to make a complete player.




So why did you make the change to rugby?
I love the game because it mentally and physically challenges me and keeps me on my toes.


Do you agree when people say that rugby is a men's game?
No, rugby is a game for anyone who wants to play.


What did you find the hardest to adapt to, when you took on rugby?
I think learning to think like a rugby player and take in what’s going on around you while making decisions.


Can you describe your first experience with rugby?
I think it was thrilling because it is so physical and learning to tackle was very exciting for me.


The lowest moment of your rugby experience…
I think when I fractured my knee earlier this year, it took me out of the league and the chance to try out for a national training squad. It wasn't so low, but it took me a while to come back.


The proudest moment of your rugby career…
I don't know, maybe when I stood in the starting line-up last year for 15's singing the national anthem. That was quite a nice moment.


How much do you love rugby? If you had a choice to represent Singapore in another sport, what would it be?
I really believe rugby is a unique sport. Representing your country in any sport is an honor though.

No comments:

Post a Comment