ARFU 15s 2012 Profile: Nikki Lira

Its a busy month for 25 year old Nikki Lira from Makati Metro Manila as she looks to represent the Philippines in the National Development Team fixture against the Singapore Standard Chartered Academy Girls Team in Cebu and earn a spot on the Philippine Volcanoes in the Asian Women's 15s Div II Tournament in her city in June.

Name: Dominique Marie Paula Lira,(Nikki) 
Occupation: Development Officer Manager (Philippine Rugby Football Union)
Position: Center/Winger

What do you do as PRFU's Development Officer Manager? We promote grassroots rugby. We teach universities, orphanages, companies etc. how to play rugby/touch rugby and develop awareness in sports.

How long have you been playing the game?
I've been playing rugby since June 2010 was part of the first national ladies team - Asian Women's Rugby Sevens, Guangzhou China, June 2010.

How did you come to start playing the game of rugby? I started playing touch rugby in university in 2008. My friend got me to try and play full contact rugby 3 months after i had dislocated my shoulder so i wasn't too keen on playing at first. After i did my first tackle i knew i was hooked. I got invited to join the first lady volcanoes 7s team to compete in Asian Women's Sevens Championship in Guangzou after that trial session. The national team coach, Matt Cullen ,saw me and remembered that i was one of the quickest runners in our team, he used to call me road runner when he'd referee our touch rugby games.


How does the general public in the Philippines view women playing rugby?
In general I don't think people in the Philippines/Asia pay too much attention to women's rugby or any women's sport at all for that matter, which is a shame. It is a great challenge to overcome, especially with women's rugby, but certainly not impossible. This is a challenge I feel passionate in overcoming. My job as a development officer manager is to promote and develop the sport to both men and women. Hosting the Asian Women four nation division II will boost people's awareness and help them to realize that women can play this sport as well as the men, if not better.



How do your folks feel about your participation in a contact sport?
Most parents who are not familiar with the spirit the game of rugby is played will be cautious when first seeing what their children are getting involved in. Those who are familiar love nothing better then to see their kids out on the field, scoring tries, and being tackled!! l'd be lying if i said my parents are not bothered by me playing rugby especially with all of the injuries i incurred in the past but they fully support me in playing the sport that i love and being a representative for my country. Most of my friends are in the rugby community so they not only support me but also provide guidance and assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment