ARFU 15s 2012 Profile: Susan Konstanty

It will be Susan Konstanty's second year with the Philippine Volcanoes when her charges take the field against Thailand in the ARFU Women's 15s Div II tournament in June. Having played for over 15 years in Australia and represented Victoria and Queensland at national titles, including being a member of the National title winning Queensland squad of 2006, Konstanty, who has also been a member of Australian Training Squad, knows a thing or two about representing one's country in the game.

Name: Susan Konstanty
Occupation: Engineer
Position: Hooker

How did you come into coaching?
During my playing years I have always got involved with assisting the coaching whenever I had an injury. It is a great way to stay involved and feel productive about your contribution when off the field. Now that I am older it is about giving back to a sport that gave me so much over the years.

How did you come to coach the Volcanoes?
When I discovered that women's rugby was alive and well in the Philippines and the PFRU discovered I was living here it became a mutually beneficial partnership. I get to stay involved and contribute to a sport I truly love and they get a coach that has a passion for the women's game and has the experience of playing at a high level in Australia.

What has your experience coaching the Volcanoes been like?
It has been a treat. There are some really talented athletes amongst the girls that have a great rugby future ahead of them and it is satisfying to see their games develop. They have a great attitude and sing the national anthem better than any country I know. I feel privileged and honored to be a part of it.

Quickfire

All time Favourite Player: John Eales



All time Favourite Team: Melbourne Rebels, it's my home town.

If I didn't spend all this time coaching rugby, I'd be: bored

My Coaching Philosophy in 3 words: Fun, hard, rewarding

Favourite pre-game routine: Talking to individuals about their role

Favourite local food/dish: Lapu Lapu. Have to love a fish named after a warrior.

No comments:

Post a Comment